The Kunstverein in Hamburg is one of the oldest art societies in Germany. Since 1817 it has dedicated itself to presenting young, contemporary art. Back in 1826 it was quick to display the talents of the up-and-coming Caspar David Friedrich, exhibiting his works “The Tomb of Ulrich von Hutten” and “The Sea of Ice”, and later presented solo exhibitions by budding artists Arnold Böcklin (1898), Jackson Pollock (1958), Francis Bacon (1965) and Angela Bulloch (1994). Rather than housing a permanent collection, the Kunstverein hosts temporary exhibitions in order to remain flexible and able to react to contemporary art trends and social issues, which it explores from an aesthetic perspective. This work is supported by the broad-ranging commitment of its members, and their financial contributions and interest in contemporary art form the basis of both the Kunstverein’s long tradition and its future.
If you would like to see the Caspar David Friedrichs of tomorrow, then why not become a member today?
Benefits of membership
- Free admission to all exhibitions and events at the Kunstverein in Hamburg and at 300 other German art societies affiliated with the ADKV (German art society association)
- Personal invitation to all openings and special events for each Kunstverein exhibition
- A 20% discount on all Kunstverein publications
- The opportunity to buy limited-edition works by international artists. These are offered exclusively to Kunstverein members
- The right to speak and vote at the general meeting
- Invitations to special members-only events such as trips to places of interest on the international art scene, visits to studios, discussions with artists, and other special exhibition tours and occasions
- Use of the Kunstverein’s reference library
- Every new member receives a Kunstverein publication as a welcoming gift.
Single membership: 50 Euro
Family/Dual membership: 70 Euro
(Artists, students, schoolchildren, apprentices and senior citizens)
Concessionary family membership
Cancelation of membership
The membership can be canceled only to the end of the year. Deadline for the notice in writing is September 30. All cancelation after that date will be disregarded.
Please take note:
- The membership fee is always charged for a whole calendar year. If you join in the course of the current year, the full membership fee will still be charged.
Application for membership
I hereby become a member of the Kunstverein in Hamburg.
Hereby I give away a membership in the Kunstverein in Hamburg.